MS Articulation & Transfer Tool – About

  1. In consultation with Chief Academic Officers, each institution shall identify proposed articulation agreement changes to IHL through its Articulation Subcommittee representative by May 15 each year.

  2. The IHL Articulation Subcommittee representative and representatives of each academic department/dean’s office which offers the program involved shall discuss articulation agreement changes between May 16 and June 10.

  3. Proposed changes approved by the IHL Articulation Subcommittee will be shared by IHL with the community/junior college representatives. Community/junior college representatives will have until June 30 to review and comment on the proposed articulation changes.

  4. The IHL Articulation Subcommittee and community/junior college representatives will meet to discuss proposed articulation changes. This meeting will take place between July 1 and July 31. This meeting will include IHL and CJC articulation committee members.

  5. The IHL Chief Academic Officers will consider approval of proposed articulation changes at their August meeting.

  6. Articulation changes shall be communicated to universities and community/junior colleges (presidents and chief academic officers) by September 30 for changes which are to be implemented the following fall semester. Any changes to these published dates are subject to approval by the IHL Chief Academic Officers and the Mississippi Community and Junior Colleges Academic Officers Association.

What is the MATT program?
The Mississippi Articulation Transfer Tool (MATT) is essentially the statewide articulation agreement between Mississippi’s community/junior colleges and public universities. The MATT identifies Mississippi community/junior college courses that will be accepted upon transfer for each of the baccalaureate degree programs offered at the eight public universities. Each university will accept courses as listed on the particular transfer program without loss of credit toward the conclusion of the four-year degree.

Who is a community/junior college transfer student?
Community/junior college transfer students are those who wish to transfer from a community/junior college to another community/junior college or to a 4-year institution.

What is a bachelor’s degree?
A bachelor’s degree is a four-year degree granted by a college or university. Typically, the community/junior college student completes two of the four years of work at his/her community/junior college and transfers that work to the senior-level institution where he/she completes the last two years of work. Agreements that govern the transfer of coursework from community/junior colleges to four-year colleges and universities are called “articulations.”

What makes up a bachelor’s degree?
A bachelor’s degree consists of three parts. The first is “general education,” which consists of courses in English composition, humanities/fine arts, social/behavioral sciences and natural sciences/ mathematics designed to give the student a broad academic foundation. General education classes are typically taken during the freshman and sophomore years.

The second part of a bachelor’s degree is a “major.” This set of courses is designed to make the student knowledgeable in a particular field of study. Typically, these courses account for one to two years of study and are usually taken in the junior and senior years.

The third part of a bachelor’s degree is “elective” coursework. Electives allow students to broaden their academic horizon and explore subjects of interest. These courses may be taken at any time.

Is it necessary to finish the General Education Core before transferring to a university?
Completing the general education core before transferring is not necessary but advisable. Students who do not complete the general education core as stated in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement will have to complete the specific general education requirements of the college or university to which they transfer.

Is it necessary to finish the associate’s degree before transferring to a university?
Completing the associate’s degree before transferring is not necessary, but it is advisable. Students should talk with an admissions representative of the institution they are interested in attending to determine if they meet its admission requirements.

Is a placement test needed when transferring to a university?
The university will decide if a placement test is needed upon transfer. Most senior-level institutions will use successful performance in English and mathematics at the community/junior college as proof of skill level and will not require additional testing.

When should students apply for transfer?
Admissions deadlines vary from institution to institution. Students should contact the admissions office or consult the catalog of the particular institution to which they are applying to find out application deadlines. In general, students should begin the application process two semesters before they intend to transfer. Students applying for financial aid and/or scholarships are strongly encouraged to begin the application process as soon as applications are available.

What courses will transfer to IHL institutions?
The Mississippi Community/Junior College Common Course Library lists courses that have been approved for transfer to the constituent institutions of The University of Mississippi. Transferring students must have earned a grade of “C” or better in a course in order to get transfer credit for the course.

Will “D” or “F” grades transfer?
No, under the MATT, only courses in which a grade of “C” or higher is earned will transfer.

How many semester hours will transfer?
Acceptance of community or junior college work is limited to one-half of the total degree hour requirements for graduation in a given curriculum.

When is it best to select a major?
As early as possible. Some students may not be ready to select a major in their freshman year; this is not unusual. However, the longer a student takes to decide on a major, the more likely it is that some of the courses taken may not apply to the major. This could result in the student having to earn more than the maximum number of semester credit hours transferable to a four-year college or university.

Should I speak with an academic advisor/counselor?
Yes! It is a good idea to speak with an academic advisor/ counselor.

Can I change majors?
Yes. However, changing majors may lengthen the time it takes to earn a degree and may also result in the accumulation of community/junior college semester credit hours more than will transfer to a four- year college or university.

Skip to content